A Belfor Company
  • Mud damage.
  • Stains.
  • Mold.
  • Fire damage.
  • Extreme weather.

Mold Detection Tips: How to Tell If Your Home is Making You Sick

When it comes to your health, indoor air quality matters a great deal. The quality of the air inside your home can impact everything from the number of colds you get to susceptibility to serious breathing problems.

Mold in particular can create real problems for your indoor air quality. Mold is not always evident in your home, and it often takes a trained eye to spot this hidden problem. You should not assume your home is mold-free if you do not see huge green spots growing on the walls. Instead, you should watch out for some of the more subtle signs of mold infestation and the health problems it can create. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is time to call in the mold detection and remediation experts at 1-800 WATER DAMAGE.

  • Unexplained health problems, including headaches, fatigue, and nausea.
  • Health problems that go away or improve when spending time away from home. If your headaches disappear when you go on vacation, you should suspect home contamination.
  • A history of flooding in the home. If your home has ever been flooded, chances are you need mold remediation services.
  • Past or current moisture in the basement. If your basement is constantly wet or floods after every rainstorm, you could be dealing with a mold problem.
  • Moisture on the walls or ceiling. Mold needs moisture to grow, and a moist environment will give in the environment it needs to thrive.
  • A damp or musty smell. If you smell a musty aroma when you enter your basement or crawlspace, you should suspect a mold problem.
  • Water leaks or water staining on the walls. You should check your home regularly for leaking pipes, water stains, and other problems. If you detect any water leaks, call a plumber - then call a mold removal specialist.

Mold is nothing to fool around with, and left unchecked, a mold problem can quickly turn into a health problem. Some varieties of mold are particularly toxic, and this toxic mold can cause some pretty scary symptoms. Signs of toxic mold exposure may include memory loss, problems with concentration, severe joint pain, and even respiratory failure. If you want to keep your home and your family safe, looking for signs of mold is your first line of defense.

If you do spot any of the classic signs of mold in your home, it is important to seek expert help right away. Removing mold is not a DIY project, and you cannot afford to put the health of your family at risk.